Sunday, September 9, 2007

Why Sleep In?

I eased out of bed, unable to stay there any longer. Last night I had decided that I would explore the morning with my camera and it seemed like a good time to start. My intention was to go southwest about 15 minutes and take pictures of the bison, elk and antelope on a nearby ranch. My enthusiasm for this early morning project was motivated by seeing Kristy's pictures of fall on her blog and I wanted to experience the beauty.

Leaving the house at 6:15, I realized that sunrise was not to happen for quite some time and decided to head west out toward the mountains and see what developed (a little pun there). Kananaskis Country starts just past Bragg Creek and is only about 35 minutes from home. I had never stopped at the Elbow River Boat Launch just this side of the falls, so made that my first stop.


Absolutely the only sound was the river
cruising down stream.

The temperature was 0 degrees C. and the air was fantastic. A few minutes west of Elbow Falls a sign indicates that Hwy 40 (Kananaskis Hwy) is 38 km. away across the Powderface Trail. The next sign indicates that travel is not recommended and that travel is at your own risk, just what I wanted. The mountains were dusted white with moisture yesterday and I wanted to experience it all. The temperature fell to minus 6 as I climbed up the Powderface. Enjoy the pictures of my morning.


7:30 and the sun paints the mountains.


Snow briefly brushed the branches, with
a warm day expected.




Hoar frost and crispy weather invited me
to open my window and turn on the heat.


The road is pitted and washboard but
speed was not the desired effect. As I bumped
through the pot holes, fresh ice popped up
and splashed the underside of my truck.


Gorgeous!!!


And of course, a stop at the wonderful Kananaskis
Golf Course to snap the hearty, first group
out, after a lengthy hour and a half frost delay.

My faith renewed, my spirit grateful. Thank you Father, for this breathtaking world.

4 comments:

The Five Jacksons said...

Nice pictures. My dreams, at that time, weren't quite as breathtaking.
Love ya,
Jadi

Kristy said...

Beautiful pictures!! We do live in a gorgeous area of the world...but winter is coming!

Shel said...

Gorgeous pics. On this hot evening in Louisiana the mountains and snow look so refreshing. Thanks for the great post.

Ashley said...

Wow! What beautiful pictures. Don't you think that Heavenly Father is such an artist? You can't help but be reminded that He loves us when you see the beauty and majesty of His creations. Sure love ya and your pics :)