Friday, February 8, 2008

Many Thanks and My Goof!!

Grandma J. and Clare cuddling.


I always hesitate to say too much because Spencer and Jadi are saying it so well on their blog. http://fourjacksons.blogspot.com/ Nevertheless, I want to make a few observations about the experience we are having.


Jadi and Spencer are such great parents. Already, their immense love for little Clare is so apparent. Last night Spencer, with tear-filled eyes and charged emotion, spoke of the pain they are feeling for their little sweetheart. Though difficult to understand, some children are tested and simply by looking aroung the Neo-Natal ICU it is apparent that many little ones have their challenges.


We watch these two young parents agonize with each new test and grasp onto all the good news (and there has been much). The most difficult part of this process is that Clare's prognosis is totally unknown and it may be months and/or years until we know how much recovery she will attain. Of course, we are all aware that miracles have happened already and have no reason to expect them not to continue.


At dinner tonight, Jadi was recounting the kindnesses of so many people. It is evident that most people, of all beliefs and backgrounds, have a sense that God is present and that we can call upon His healing hands. They also, invariably, express their intention to offer up prayers for little Clare's recovery. People have overwhelmed us with meals, they line up to offer baby-sitting and rides to the hospital. Spencer's associates are, not only keeping his insurance doors open, but are writing policies for his office. (Consider him for your insurance needs, he can use the help.)


The other day, some of Spencer's pals got together and bought a rather expensive piece of equipment to make Jadi's life simpler. I get calls from crusty, old people from as far away as Utah and New Brunswick, wanting updates.


Thank you to you all.


Now, Kristy will want me to tell this story on myself.


Today, Gerry was at the hospital with Jadi and Clare. We are being buried by a snow storm and I thought it prudent at noon to clear the driveway, in a preventative maintenance kind of way. While outside, I decided that I wanted a burger, (yes, Bernsteins is lurking close by) and went to Chiles at the mall. The burger was great, the Caesar Salad not so and I let my server know that it was old and sour. I had a couple of refills on my pop (2 1/2 to be exact) and declined a dessert. When the young lady brought my bill, I reached in my pocket only to find that I did not have my wallet.


Hmm, should I dine and dash, might they want me to wash dishes. Not sure what to do, I decided that the only option was to talk to the manager. I asked the server if I could speak with the manager and shortly he appeared, very apologetic for the bad Caesar Salad. I assured him that this was not my reason to ask to see him and invited him to sit down. Simply put, I told him that I had forgotten my wallet and wondered if I could call him with my credit card when I got home. He took mercy on me and insisted that he buy my meal, in spite of my protestations that I would return or could call him with my credit card info. Guess where we went for supper tonight, so that I could thank him again and, at least, give him $5.00 for the server. Nice guy, I recommend Chile's at South Center, although recommend you take your wallet.


thanks for YOUR thoughts and prayers; they are still needed.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

The Jackson's are an amazing family with a wonderful support system of people who absolutely love and care for them. I, too, think that people are good.
About the wallet thing, still laughing!!

carly said...

I said it on Jadi's blog and I will say it again! Grandma you look so in love!! It is pretty cool the support system that there is for the Jackson's.

Thank you Dad for the birthday present! I can't wait to come up there!
*I am still laughing too!*

The Five Jacksons said...

Awesome blog! It was like a good movie. I laughed. I cried. It will keep them coming back.
Love Jadi

Ashley said...

Love the wallet story. So funny! I'm glad that you didn't have to wash dishes. I also LOVE that picture of Gerry with Clare. It's so cute. I'm so glad that Clare is seeing miracles and I know that there will be many more to come. She has a mission in this world to fulfill. I'm sure of it. I wish I could meet her. Love you guys! You really are the best.

ehjenn said...

I love you all and you are a funny man. Beautiful baby, beautiful grandma.
Love ya
Jenn

ehjenn said...

I love you all and you are a funny man. Beautiful baby, beautiful grandma.
Love ya
Jenn