Saturday, October 13, 2007

Saturday Morning Ruminations

Firstly, I should be out cleaning the garage. Cleaning is hardly the right word as it is still cluttered with much of the stuff we brought home from the office last March. We have managed to create a gap with enough room to park the car but it needs a whole day. (Just not today I guess.) Secondly there is a bunch of engineering work to get out the door but, it too, will wait. Why the procrastination; well the sun is shining, the temperature today will be in the mid teens (C) or high 60's (F) and the golf course closes tomorrow. They claim that they need time to put it to bed for the winter. Anyway, I booked tee times for 8 and it is a 12 noon shotgun start. For those neophytes (not nephites) that means that we all start at the same time but on different holes. She Who Fulfills Me has reported some minor discontent with my golf dalliances but it will all end soon enough. (I'll try to find courses open around the city and province to complete the year. The temperature is too good not to play.)

Some random thoughts:

  • Grandchildren are really everything that you hear about. I am one who would definitely not have skipped over the children part but they are special. For those of you with children that have grandparents, thank you for sharing them with us, they are cool.
  • Grandchildren are a great deal of fun in "the pack" but they are extra special when they are alone with Grandma and Grandpa (or Kranpa as one of them says). When they are alone with us, there is a tendency to share secrets, cuddle a little more and the proclivity to injury is reduced.
  • As I look around our domicile, it is obvious that we need to figure out how to reduce and simplify. After 35 years of generally wedded bliss, we have accumulated way too much stuff. My wife does not think it funny that I have told her that when she dies I am going to call the hearse and a big bin company at the same time. Nor does she think it funny that I have instructed my children that when I die, they should not open the boxes, just dispose of them. They haven't needed the stuff so far, so don't even start.
  • Getting started on the house project is time consuming and difficult. It is about at the end of my abilities but is a challenge and invites me back. I hope that we will dig the basement in the next 2 weeks, we finally seem to have the proverbial ducks in a row. Something will come up but we'll figure it out. One of the greatest challenges has been keeping priorities reasonably in order.
  • Take time to blog, don't just facebook. Your friends want to know what is happening with your lives. Check out Katy Young's Blog (I don't know her married name). Katy is a friend of Kristy's from High School, her family was in the ward a number of years ago and they were all delightful. She is an excellent writer and likely puts many of your thoughts into her blog.
  • My last thought has to do with faith. I'm so happy that I am blessed to be a man of faith. I believe in an Eternal Father, it is a great comfort for me to so believe. I am grateful that I have faith in the love of an Elder Brother, who perfectly atoned for my wrongs so that I can be reunited with my loved ones for the eternities. I have analyzed my soul and know that I am a better person for my beliefs. My advice to you is the saying from the hippie's age; "Keep The Faith".
Have a great day. ....

2 comments:

Kristy said...

There's a lot I should get done today too...I blogged though!

Carly & Jesse said...

Love you Daddy! nice blog!