Monday, October 1, 2007

The California Desert


Marriott Desert Springs Resort. Yes, it is this nice!!

Palm Springs and Palm Beach only have one thing in common; they both start with the word Palm. When we tell people that we have been in Palm Springs, many people begin to think of Florida. Not!!

Palm Springs and more correctly for us, Palm Desert is 2 hours east of Los Angeles on the I-10 freeway. To say it qualifies as one of our favorite places is a bit of an understatement. For the past 6 years, we have spent our anniversary in the desert, typically at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas . We love it, it is a week of re-charging and renewal, although we are thinking that 2 weeks would be better next time.

Why Palm Desert? I'm glad you asked. The Palm Springs area is easy to get to, it is accessible by plane and is an easy drive. I drove down and Gerry (and friends) flew down. SWFM got on a plane at 7:00 a.m. in Calgary and I picked her up at 12 noon after a short lay over in Phoenix. Westjet flies direct to Palm Springs beginning in November, so it is even easier to get to. As for me, I love to drive.

I left Calgary on Tuesday September 18 and attended meetings in southern Alberta until about 4 and then high tailed it south. Except for an unexpected grilling at the border, which caused a 2 hour delay and a return trip to Raymond to drop off the stuff I was not allowed to take to Carly and Jesse, the trip to Provo was uneventful. Against everyone's (read that spouse's) wish, I drove all night, stopping for a total 2 - 3 hours sleep as eyelids drooped. A few years ago, doing the same thing, I thought myself incredible shifty when I pulled into a car lot, parked my car next to the new cars and slept.

Surprise, surprise, my Provo friends had entered a team in a golf tournament on Wednesday afternoon and they needed a fourth to complete the team. I contributed a little, they all more so, and we won the tournament by about 10 strokes. Carly, Jesse and I hung out, ate at Cafe Rio, Kneaders and shopped at Costco, things that Dads are supposed to do. I did worry about the financial welfare of Kneaders as 3 big BYU lineman came in for the "all you can eat" french toast.
Thursday morning after the "back waxing" (see previous post) it was onward and downward (look on a map and you'll get it). Primm Nevada is right on the border with California and was a stop over on Thursday night. I planned to play the Primm Golf Resort on Friday a.m. but woke to a heavy rain, so headed out. Provo to Palm Desert is about 9 hours at a gallop, so Friday was easy. Made it to Terra Lago golf course in Indio by late morning and played with 3 guys who were warming up for a frat. golf get together. My observation is that they needed lots of warm up as between them they must have lost 2 dozen golf balls.

We didn't have the time share until Sunday so, using my great skills, I had pricelined a room for 2 nights at the Indian Springs Resort Hotel, quite nice. Princes flew into the city of angels and spent the afternoon and morning touring about. They had a brief encounter with Jane Seymour outside a spa in Malibu, went as far south as Balboa Island and Huntington Beach.

Anyway, to make a short story long, we had a great week. We ate (too much), toured about (we've about seen it all by now), sat long hours in the shade by the pool (I'm a little sunburned), played a little golf and enjoyed a great rest. I think Gerry and I will sneak back there in the next couple of months for a week alone. Drew and Joanne Cahoon and Jon Elton came down on Thursday and we had a couple of days of great visits with old friends. (I am afraid the reference to old friends is perhaps too applicable.)


As you can see by the look on Greg's face,
he is about to stuff it right back in the 10
year old's face.

Jon Elton and Greg on the couch at Jon's
Cathedral City digs. He introduced us
to excellent "dirty" mexican. (Ask me)


Me and 3 of my closest friends. I can't remember
the pig's name but that's Greg Prince and Drew Cahoon.


Of course they are babes, Gerry, Sandy Prince
and Joanne Cahoon, our soon to be neighbors.

Alrighty then.....

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh...How FUN!! I wish we were there. We love to holiday with you guys. Drive home safe. Give Carly a hug from us.

Carly & Jesse said...

I wish I was there too!! we need to go away again as a family... I believe next Christmas would be the Christmas we all go away?!!? maybe that should happen? Dad when you see Kristy next hug her for me! Thanks for hanging out with us!!

Carly & Jesse said...

So you better just hug all my sisters for me!! and kiss all of the babies!!