Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sundays

It seems that a popular part of BLOGGING is to tell things about oneself. I am sure that most everything about me would put most people to sleep in a hurry. Maybe some day I'll post the list and then recommend people read it when they have insomnia.

Notwithstanding that, the opportunity to express myself is given, therefore, I take it.

I love Sunday evenings. For as long as I can remember, this has been my favorite time of the week. Sure there is the stress of Mondays just around the corner but Sunday nights.....

When I was a boy it was family time. We would eat Sunday dinner, then spend the night watching a little more TV than normally allowed. Disneyland, Ed Sullivan and Bonanza were the headliners and were always in black and white. (Color TV was a luxury that Gerry and I bought right around the time little Jennifer came into the world.) I remember meeting El Figo Baca, Hoss, Little Joe and Pa. Who can forget the important role of Hop Sing?

Anyway, back to my story. Dad would get creative on Sunday nights and likely come up with a culinary creation. His favorite, not mine, were raw spanish onions, sliced onto an open piece of buttered bread. Lots of salt and pepper. That's where Googly was introduced into our family or rice pudding and absolutely the bomb; a couple of pieces of bread, torn up and placed in a bowl with chokecherry syrup and milk poured on top. (Googly was the best. Ask my kids.)

As an adult I love the fact that Sunday nights offer a true peace from the world. There is little risk that work will rear its head for several hours, church calls are temporarily set aside. Perhaps friends will drop in, certainly family does. Gerry loves to feed her family and the kids respond.

Today little Anna and I did her first jig saw puzzle. We did it about 20 times, each time she got a little better, learning to figure out which pieces were the corners, sides and the left over 2 in the middle. We took a break to go outside and float leaves down the gutter.

Tonight, we sense that our children are safe, we rest from the world.

I like Sundays.


3 comments:

Kristy said...

Wish we could spend Sunday evenings together!! Very soon we will spend two Sunday evenings together - in paradise. Oh, and I love googly. I can't wait for your list. If you remember correctly, on long trips all we wanted to hear was stories about you. Bring it on!!

Kristy said...

My friends, Wendy and Peter heard you speak on sunday.

Kristy said...

See you in Lihue!!