Thursday, February 8, 2007

Dr. Cal Fletcher







One of my heroes passed away this week and I wish to pay tribute to him. I first met Dr. Cal Fletcher when I was in my late teens. We were in play-off basketball and in order to be able to compete, we needed to pass a physical. Dr. Fletcher stood in the Bonnie Doon Stake Center, leaning against the stage. He had us run a few laps around the gym, listened to our chests with a stethoscope and then pronounced us fit to play.

Over the next few years, I came to know him much better and then again more recently, even more so. When I was a young man, Cal used to invite me to travel with him when he had High Council assignments. As we travelled to Red Deer, Rimbey, Wetaskiwin and other places, Cal would teach me about life. I remember asking him one time what life was like when you had no financial worries. His response was typical, he told me that it made life fun. Cal was frugal and wise, yet enjoyed life. He was proud that he saved money throughout his professional career and enjoyed his retirement years.

His children, grandchildren and now, many great grandchildren are a legacy to he and Norma. They are close to one another, professionally accomplished, talented and share the quiet nature of the Fletchers.

Cal always had a purpose, whether it was professionally or playfully. He loved to tell stories about the ski trips he took with Kay Burnham and Burns Larson. Typically they involved all night trips, kamikaze skiing and self-treatment for serious injuries. He loved to tell about the time he broke a leg, anaesthetized it and drove home to Edmonton because his buddies wanted to continue skiing. (Pardon the artistic license with the story but that is my recollection.)

He was a first rate medical practioner. Recently my son-in-law Lee met Cal and they began to talk medicine. Cal was disappointed in himself that he had forgotten some of the various procedures and anaesthetics he used. His first love professionally was anaesthesia and he was good at it. He was current throughout his practicing career and practiced until well into his 70's. His last many years of work were spent assisting with dental procedures that required the patients to be asleep.

He loved to tell me about the time that he hit golf balls into a home made cage in the basement of the Royal Alex Hospital in Edmonton. After hitting tens of thousands of balls over the winter months, every time he was on call, he went out and won the Edmonton Doctor's Golf Tournament at the Mayfair Golf and Country Club in Edmonton. Sandy tells the story of his going over a dry water ski jump with predicted results.

I loved his story about the time the dock needed repairs at the Sylvan Lake cabin. Needing to make the repairs under water, he created his own SCUBA gear, using old oxygen tanks and surgical tubing. This was typical of his attitude.

A few years ago, they moved to Calgary as they recognized a need to be close to family. It was the forethought that he was famous for that brought them here. He knew that they needed to be close to Sandy as they aged. About 3 years ago, Norma moved into a care facility. Her very brittle bones can no longer carry her and she spends most days in a bed.

It was Cal's absolute dedication to his wife that kept him going for the past couple of years. Occasionally we had the privilege of picking him up to deliver him to the nursing home. Inevitably he was sitting on his walker outside the garage waiting for us at 3:00 p.m. When we delivered him home, I will always remember his walking into the garage and pushing the walker off to the side, as if to say, why am I hobbled with this?

During these rides, Cal was once again full of wonderful stories. He taught fiscal restraint, advised me that if I lost 10 pounds, I would feel better. A few times we would detour out into the country for a little ride and he mentioned those trips all the time.

Last Monday his heart gave out. Dr. Cal Fletcher was 87 years old. Norma tells me that they became friends when they were 17 years old and have been married for 64 years. He is my friend.

No comments: