Thursday, February 15, 2007

Joe Sports

About 16 months ago, Collin Smith aka Joe Sports was called by his wife during a commercial break in his radio talk show. Her call was a shattering confirmation that Collin had been diagnosed with leukemia. 45 years old, the father of 4 children, Collin was at the apex of his career, hosting a daily sports talk show and the sport's anchor for the most popular t.v. station in the Calgary market.

What a ferocious battle he fought. In June, Collin was donated bone marrow by his brother Nathan in a last ditch effort to change the course of the disease. The marrow transplant was a success, the battle to fight the effects of the transplant were too much and Collin left our mortal company yesterday a.m. I have fought tears, many times failing, for two days as I remember the very good person who he is.

Collin (Joe Sports) was renowned in the Calgary media. Yesterday the radio station on which he marqueed and Global T.V. paid hours of tribute to him. From my perspective, he was a cherished friend. Collin was the center of our golf trips. He referred to them as EFY for Old Guys. Jokes were fast and furious. He was quick to kid and quick to heal. We last had a golf outing in May, he, in the middle of his treatments but we were his guests. I will cherish the memory of that day.

He was a great elder's quorum president, an excellent teacher, an influential youth leader and a beloved husband, father, son and brother. He leaves to remember him, his wife Margaret, children Lisa, Laura, Brad and Sean. Our thoughts are with them. We love Cleon, Meridee and the rest of the Smiths.

Another reminder that cancer has no prejudice, we are all victims of this horrible disease.

We pray for Collin

2 comments:

Kristy said...

I have read some of the tributes posted about Collin. I couldn't hold back the tears. Love you, Dad.

Carly & Jesse said...

So sad to hear about this. But just think of where is now, no more pain!
I am sitting in the PHX airport right now thinking I have the greatest parents in the world! Thank you so much for sending me to come see Jenn! I get to see the girls in just an hour and a half and I am so excited it almost makes me cry! I love you so much Daddy! please give my mom a kiss for me!
Love, Carly