Monday, February 5, 2007

Waist Management

I have spent most of my life in waste management and haven't spent as much time worrying about waist management as I ought to have. Recently, however, that is changing. You know, when someone asks me how much weight I have lost, my typical response is about 1,000 pounds. That is to say, over the years, I have lost 15 - 25 pounds many times over.

Last year, I found that my energy level and abilities were substantially lessened and determined that it was now time for waist management. I also realize that I need checks, balances and goals in my life to really follow through on commitment. Several friends had lost significant weight on the Dr. Bernstein Diet, a serious diet for the committed. After doing some self-analysis, it was gut check time and you guessed it, the gut needed to recede.

I went to my initial appointment early in December and can report that, after 6 full weeks on the program, (I don't count my week in Phoenix golfing as a week on the program although I did not put on any weight) the scale at Dr. B's office reports a 40 pound decrease. There is a great deal of work to do but I'm keen for it. I look forward to feeling much better and do so right now.

The strategy of Dr. B is to get the patients to regularly report in, control the type and number of calories and subsidize oneself with appropriate vitamins and minerals. I have always taken a mixed cocktail of vitamins, chondroitin, glucosamine, calcium, 82 mg. aspirin, etc., so this is the easy part. Limiting my eating is more difficult. Actually SWFM (check prior post) has a difficult time cutting back on portions and always wants to provide the tastiest for her family. Christmas was very hard as there was always a goodly number of tasty treats on the counter.

Anyway, I now make my way to the Dr. B clinic 3 times a week where I bare one of the private cheeks or the other, receive a poke with a dull needle, purportedly filled with vitamins B6 and B12, weigh myself, review my foods for the past couple of days and get a small measure of encouragement. There are doctors on staff and I meet regularly with one of them but the fellow I saw last Friday was, at best, putting in time.

As to the waist management, down about 6".

Use my name if you sign up.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

Way to go. Oh and thanks for the lip stuff! Perfect.

Kristy said...

by the way - I love that you have a blog!

Carly & Jesse said...

I love that Daddy has a blog too! and I am so proud of you for your waist management!

stonro said...

Yahoo!! You'll soon realy be my little brother - way to go, or should I say Weight to go!! I'm proud of you- Love Ya. Bob

Carly & Jesse said...

I really miss my family!

Kristy said...

I'm ready for a new post!!